Thursday 6 May 2010

XBIR: 2176 Supernova Storm

Another 'Asteroids turned into a Deathmatch' game.

+:
Clear signals - controller rumbling a warning each time you're hit.
-:
The skills it seems to mainly test (calculating the correct angle to rotate the ship to to land your shots) is exactly the sort of thing that I don't find massively fun and that computers will always be better at.
-:
The powerups you can collect seem to encourage 'turtling' and are an annoying form of positive feedback.
-:
At many points of the map, with dark bg and dark foreground objects (with only a small rimlight), crashing into rocks or failing to see your ship when it respawns are the rule rather than the exception.

This is the sort of game that I might play for far longer than I ought to - trying to work out what I'm missing. Well, after 22 minutes, I think I can say that if I haven't found the fun yet, the game shouldn't be hiding it so much.

LESSON: Don't add extra elements until the basics work.

No comments: